Tuesday, August 4, 2009

More Everyday Delights

I am already seeing a pattern in the way I visualize the world. The things my mind/eyes are drawn to are not always immediate delights. It's not a delight until God anoints it!
Short story...I facilitate a support group called Creative Expressions and tonight's project was to reflect and write about a photo following a sheet of questions. My photo is this beautiful young American Indian child. I feel somewhat vulnerable sharing this but here goes...

What are your first thoughts/initial reactions about this picture? She is old and childlike at the same time. "I don't want to grow up...this isn't who I was created to be. This is a mask someone else imposed upon me."

What are this person's emotions? Fearful of being lost and being someone you're not. There's no joy in this costume. Sad acquiescence.

Give this woman a voice...tell her story. I used to have friends and play and laugh but then I was literally picked up and placed in a foreign land. I was told how to act and how to look. I don't have anyone in my life who can hear me.

What ways can you personally relate with her? I too live in a foreign land. I am a child of God living in a sinful world. This world tells me how to look, what to do and how to be successful. I can't be who I was created to be for fear of abandonment.

How are you different? I have a voice...I know my Father and I know where to find Him. I am not a captive and I will never be abandoned.

The absolute DELIGHT of knowing your true identity...that you are a beloved child of God. We are aliens in this world. As a Christ-follower I often feel like that little girl looks. I just don't fit in - I don't belong here. There is a voice within my heart that calls me back to my true self, back to my true Father.
"For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit. Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household..." Ephesians 2:18-19

Precious Peep of the day is Tricia who has a beautiful heart.



1 comment:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Unlike that little girl though, you were sent to share a message. She had hers taken away. That will never happen to you. You may be a stranger in a strange land, but the Word you share offers clarity and freedom.